Friday, January 8, 2010

Tutorial~Jean Skirt for Little Girl~(Got Old Jeans?)

I first did this tutorial for Someday Crafts when I was invited to be a guest blogger. I am posting the tutorial on my blog now, so if you haven't seen it, please enjoy. (I know everyone has at least one pair of old jeans hiding out somewhere.)


It all started when I decided to get rid of this worn pair of jeans...


It was a much darker color when I bought it, but now, some parts are faded (knees, rear...you know how that goes). Then, the frugal side of me kicked in and stopped me form throwing the jeans in the trash. After much consideration, I decided to make a jean skirt for my little girl, since she is out growing the one she has.

Here is what I did;

1. First disassemble the jeans. I cut it around the knee, and cut off the seams, and cut along the edges. You will need the top portions too but cut out the pocket area. Basically, you need 6 panels to make this skirt, and some left over for the waistband and applique. Remember to stay on the edges when you cut, you should have enough fabric left for this project.




2. I made a simple template (quarter inch seam allowance included). It is 13 1/2" tall, 4 1/2" wide at the top and 8 1/2" wide at the bottom. I gave a very slight curve for the top and the bottom. Using the template, cut out 6 panels.


3. Sew 3 panels side by side and make two of them. Open the seam and iron.


4. I used a zigzag stitch on the edge of the seam, so it won't fray. Do the same for all the seams.


5. Sew the front and back together in the same manner.

6. For the waist band, cut two 2" X 13 1/2" strips. Sew them together side by side to make a long piece, then make a big hoop. Pin the hoop around the waist (right sides together) and sew using 1/4" seam allowance.

Fold 1/4" on the other side. Iron. Fold it in half and Iron. Leaving 3/4" opening, sew around the edge. Put elastic through. (measure your little girls tummy, plus an inch for overlap).


7. Finish the bottom edge using your favorite method.

8. Now, the skirt is ready for embelishment.

Iron fusible interfacing to the left over fabrics. This is the fun part where you can do whatever you desire! I did some on the right side, and some on the wrong side of the fabrics, so when I do that applique, I will have two colors to work with.


9. I used cookie cutters for the flower templates. The ones I used were the second and third smallest ones.


10. Trace the flowers and cut.


11. Cut out other fun shapes to go in between the flowers.



12. Sew the circle onto the dark flower, then, sew the dark flower onto the light flower, that way you don't have to sew many layers at onece.


13. Lay the flowers on the seam line between the each panel. That way you won't have to measure it, they will be evenly spread out. Go around the entire skirt.


14. Time to enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment