Monday, March 14, 2011

What I am feeling now...

Thank you all for your kind and very supportive comments and emails! I am still getting lots of emails today about how you all are very happy for me that I got a hold of my sister. I can't tell you how grateful I am to read all of them, and most of them were people I have never met before.

Although, I know my family is alive, they are still not out of the woods yet. My sister lives in an area that is about less than 80km away from the nuclear power plant, and the news I just saw said that they have detected some radiation in the prefecture next to them. I don't know how the wind will blow and carry the radiation, but I am very worried for them.

I asked if they could escape to somewhere, but pretty much all the public transportation in the area is disabled right now, and they only have a little bit of gas in the car. There is no guarantee where and when they can buy more gas.

Meanwhile, I have been researching ways to help the people in Japan. I have thought about starting a fundraiser myself, but then, I have never done such a thing before. Also, I guess if I try to set up something like that I have to deal with tax laws, and how I am going to get the money (international laws and such), and where to take it. I have no clue.

So, I looked around to see some other options. If I am donating the money to an organization that already exists, I have to make sure that they are not a scam (sadly, there are people out there to use times like this to get gain for themselves), and that the money will be used effectively.

The organization that I trust is humanitarian services run by the church I attend. My husband helped me to do some digging, and he talked to a person from humanitarian service. Their overhead is very low, compared to other organizations out there (some of the places the overhead is 30% and such, Red Cross is 14%, and our church's humanitarian services is only 2%. UPDATE: I just learned that the church absorbs all the overhead costs and that 100% of the donations given directly to the humanitarian services goes to help those in need.

Also, they are known for their services during the Haiti's and Chili's aftermath, and making a difference in people's lives.


The only thing is that I don't care for is that I can't specify where I want the money to go. The humanitarian services will use the money where it is needed the most. Right now I can't think of anywhere else that needs a lot more help than Japan. Considering their reliability, their past reputation, and low overhead, I believe that their organization will do the most good with the resources donated. The last thing I want is the money to get lost in the system and not help anyone at all.

I have a deep desire to help people in Japan as well as my family. I just couldn't get on with my life and do nothing knowing that so many people are suffering where I used to live. I have no idea where my friends are and how they are doing.

I lived not too far from this area

I have the Japanese channel, and I watch more detailed news. There were some survivors that were interviewed and shared their stories. Their stories are so raw, sad and heart wrenching.


At 0:41 you will the tsunami wash over the area I used to go visit my friends.


Many of you asked me if you can do anything to help. So I ask you to consider donating and helping out the people of my country. If you already have an organization you believe in, that's great, please donate any time, items, or money to them. Also, there is no such a thing "too small" of a contributions. Every dollar helps.



Please add this grab button to the sidebar of your blog, let's get as many people involved as we can!

I still worry about my family in Japan. At the same time, I think about my role in the tragedy. This event is just too close to my heart, I have to do something.

One thing I thought of is that I have a voice. In over two and half years, I created a small spot in this blog-land. You guys have been so kind and supportive of my craft/sewing adventures. This time I ask of you to help me to help those in need in my country. I know it is a tough time for a lot of people financially, if you can help with donations, please spread the word out about what I am trying to do.

I know I can count on you.

Lots of love

Sachiko

No comments:

Post a Comment