Monday, March 29, 2010

A Story of Statement Jewelry

A few weeks ago, I was watching a short documentary on the Japanese channel. It was about jewelry artists living in NY. They introduced a few designers, all of them had a common ground. They make "Statement Jewelries".

Usually, statement Jewelries are big, bold,and most of the times inexpensive compared to its size (Think of a diamond, people pay how much for a tiny stone?). In the documentary, the reporter also said that statement jewly become popular when the economy is not doing so great. During the Great Depression era, statement jewelry was a big trend. I guess people were after the "Wow" effect and something to cheer them up for a price they still could afford.

I thought about our economy now... hmm... that make sense. Those statement jewelries are everywhere. I usually perfer small real jewelry. BUT, I see so many pretty necklaces, earrings, and rings to drool over. They sure make a plain outfit shine.

I particularly liked one desinger who collects antique parts and pieces to make her original jewelry. She showed some of her collection. My eyes went wide, while hold a dust rag in my hand (I was dusting the furniture). Wow, they were truly a piece of history.

I have been itching to find my own statement jewelry pieces. I am no expert with antiques. Nor, can I tell the difference when I find something; what is "old" and what is "vintage". They sure sound sooo different. Although, when I see something I can immideately tell if I love it or not. If I think it's beautiful, that's good enough for me.

The other day, I found two jewelry pieces that I fell in love with at a local thrift store. They are unique and my style. Above all, they were $2.99 each!

A pair of earrings with rose print...


Then, this gorgeous pendant head with dainty detailes.


Lucky me! I found a chain that would match with the pendant in my jewelry making box! I can start wearing it right away:) Next time when you go visit a thrift store, or yard sale, look around a bit carefully, you might find a piece of history too.

No comments:

Post a Comment